LibraryLadies5

LibraryLadies5
Hello from the Ladies:)

Amy's Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Thing 20: More Fun with Google

In looking further into the tools Google has to offer, I didn't find much that I would actually use. My husband uses Google Alerts to stay updated in his line of work, but I don't think I would use it. Google Calendar might be useful to some, but I prefer using my old-fashioned paper and pencil calendar to keep track of my appointments and other events in my life. I wouldn't use Picasa Web Albums as I am not interested in sharing my photos online. Just the other day a friend of mine was freaking out because she found pictures of her son posted online that she didn't post. I have no intention of sharing my photos online, except for a few that I have on Facebook, with privacy settings set on high. Google Scholar is something I plan on looking at further, but with the great database access we have at this library and at my grad school, USF, I don't see needing it anytime soon. I have used Google Advanced Search before and find it useful when searching for something specific rather than sifting through the many results most searches return with. Google Earth is both cool and scary. I find it cool that we have the technology and tools to give us such accurate mapping information about our planet, but find it scary that there are actual photos of our homes so easily accessed. Big Brother is definitely watching over us. My favorite part of Google Earth is the actual flight-like experience one gets when they first put in an address. I already had an iGoogle page set up prior to this activity, but don't really use the tools I have placed on it.
Of all the tools investigated, my favorites are Google Scholar and Advanced Search.

No comments:

Post a Comment