LibraryLadies5

LibraryLadies5
Hello from the Ladies:)

Amy's Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Thing 18: More Social Networks

I know that the world is getting more dependent on being digital everyday, but I find the idea of social networks for children as young as 8 to be disturbing. Even looking through the sites listed in the article, my opinion has not changed. The world is a scary place and online, despite the best efforts of law enforcement officials, too many children are tricked into giving out their personal information and getting themselves into trouble. If I had to choose one of the listed sites, I would go with Togetherville as it seemed the safest and blocked access to outside sites.
While I do not have a Linkedin account, I know several people who do. Some of the advantages of membership to this site include posting your profile and building a network of colleagues in your business, getting notice of new jobs available in certain companies (possibly before they are advertised), and researching companies before applying for a job with them.
WebJunction is a site that I have known about for some time, but haven't gotten around to truly exploring. Offering information and trainings for library staff, it is a great resource, especially since membership is free. With the courses costing about $40 each, the library could offer incentives for staff that are interested in taking some classes. Since most of the courses are self-paced, it would be easy enough for staff to be scheduled off-desk to "attend" class when the schedule allowed. I think that a great number of people would be interested, and a more educated staff would certainly help the library in the long run!

No comments:

Post a Comment